How To Remove Dog Urine From Carpet: A Complete Guide (2023)
Accidents happen; for pet owners, that often means cleaning up dog urine from carpets or other surfaces. Even though the job may seem hard, especially if the stain has dried in, taking the right steps can help you eliminate both the smell and the stain.
In this guide, we’ll tell you all about the best ways to remove dog urine from carpets quickly and easily, so you can move on with your day—without a lingering odor. Read on to learn more!
DIY Dog Urine Carpet Cleaning vs. Professional Carpet Cleaning
DIY dog urine carpet cleaning is a great option for smaller or isolated incidents. The proper knowledge and techniques can help to effectively remove the stain and odor, saving you time and money. To fully get rid of the dog pee smell and stain, you may need a professional carpet cleaner for larger areas or more than one accident.
Professional carpet cleaners have the right tools and know-how to do the job right, as well as any extra treatments that might be needed to prevent damage from worsening. They can also help to ensure that the area is completely clean and free of bacteria or other contaminants. Ultimately, it’s important to figure out how bad your problem is and which solution is best for you.
Internet Remedies For Pet Urine
Baking soda can be a common internet remedy for pet urine, as it can absorb and even neutralize some odors associated with pet stains. However, baking soda alone may not effectively get dog pee out of carpets.
This is especially true if the urine has already dried before you attempt to clean it. To truly remove pet odors, a specific mix of baking soda and other enzymatic cleaners may be required for the best results.
If the urine has dried, it may also be difficult to remove all traces of odor and bacteria from the area. In this case, a professional carpet cleaner may be necessary to remove all traces of pet odors and bacteria from dried dog urine.
Different Types of Dog Urine Treatments
Different types of dog urine treatments can effectively remove the odor caused by pet urine in carpets. The most common types of treatments are enzymatic pet treatments and deodorizers.
- Enzymatic pet treatment breaks down the proteins found in pet urine and helps remove the odor and prevent it from returning. Enzymatic treatments are often non-toxic and safe to use around pets and children, making them an ideal solution for pet owners.
- Deodorizer treatments are designed to cover up pet urine odor. Deodorizers contain strong scents that can help mask dog pee smells and make your home smell pleasant again. It is important to note that deodorizers only mask the smell and do not remove it.
It is important to note that with both types of treatments, once the house heats up and it gets warm and sunny outside, the smell of pet urine can become more intense. To avoid this, it’s important to treat the area with enzymes or deodorizers thoroughly and correctly.
Some helpful tips when using pet urine treatments include:
- Vacuum the area thoroughly before treating
- Follow package instructions when using enzymatic or deodorizer treatments
- Move furniture and other items away from the treated area and allow them to dry
- Repeat treatment if necessary, especially in areas with higher levels of dog urine smell
- Use fans and open windows to help circulate the air and allow the treated area to dry faster
- Change filters on your heating/cooling system to help reduce pet urine odors in the air.
How To Remove Dog Urine From Carpet
DIY Methods For Smaller Isolated Dog Urine Spots
If the urine spot is small and isolated, you can try the following steps to get the stain and odor out:
- Step 1: Soak Up the Urine – Begin by blotting up as much dog urine from your carpet as possible. Use a cloth, paper towels, or sponge to blot up the liquid as quickly as possible.
- Step 2: Apply Distilled White Vinegar and Water – Make a solution of equal parts distilled white vinegar and water. Using a spray bottle, liberally spray the soiled area with the solution.
- Step 3: Let It Sit – Allow the solution to soak into the carpet for 10-15 minutes. This will allow the vinegar to break down the urine and neutralize any odors.
- Step 4: Ensure All Odors Are Gone – After letting the solution sit for 10-15 minutes, use a wet/dry vacuum to remove as much liquid from the carpet as possible. Do not use a regular vacuum, as this may further spread the smell and stain.
- Step 5: Vacuum – Using a wet/dry vacuum, thoroughly vacuum the area to remove all remaining liquid. Be sure to vacuum the area several times to ensure all of the urine is removed from the carpet. Hang the carpet outside and allow it to dry in the sun. This will help remove any lingering odors from the urine.
Following these steps should help you successfully remove dog urine from your carpet. However, if the stain and odor persist, it may be best to contact a professional carpet cleaner. They will have the necessary expertise and equipment to get your carpet looking and smelling like new again.
Large Areas or Multiple Dog Urine Spots
If you’ve got a big job to tackle that involves multiple dog urine spots or large areas of your carpet, your best option is to call a professional carpet cleaning service. Red Rocks Carpet Cleaning specializes in pet odor and stain removal, guaranteeing you the best results possible.
We use powerful truck-mounted machines that generate more suction, pressure, and heat than any other machine on the market. This is essential for properly resolving any major dog urine issues you may have.
We understand the frustration of trying to DIY a project like this and spending time and money on products that may need to be more effective, so let us take the hassle out of it and get your carpets looking good as new again. Get in touch with us today for a free estimate, and let us take care of the job for you.
How Do Professionals Remove Significant Dog Urine Odor From Carpet?
Professionals understand that cleaning the carpets is not the only solution when dealing with serious pet urine issues. In fact, it can be quite easy. The real challenge lies in the carpet pad and subfloor beneath, which often absorb pet urine until it dries, leaving behind a nasty smell.
Identifying the urine spots is important, and professionals use methods such as using a black light or pulling back the carpet. Pulling back the carpet is the best way to look at the carpet pad and identify any pet urine stains on the backing. This allows professionals to take appropriate action.
How We Remove Dog Urine From Carpet
At Red Rocks Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Care, we have everything you need to get rid of dog urine from carpets. Our three effective methods are:
- Basic Pet Urine Treatment: A professional-grade topical treatment is applied to break down the dog’s urine and allow for carpet and pad extraction.
- Advanced Pet Urine Treatment – Carpet Flooding: this extraction technique saturates the pet urine stain with a specialized pet urine-neutralizing solution. It is then extracted using the body weight of the user standing on the tool.
- Carpet Pad Replacement: if the damage is so widespread, it would cost more to flood many spots than just to replace the carpet pad in the room. We are experienced enough to know when this is necessary.
We strive to provide the highest quality service and use only top-grade pet urine treatments, so you can rest assured that your carpets are in good hands. Whether you need a topical treatment, carpet flooding, or pad replacement, our team of professionals is here to help. Let us know how we can best serve you and your pup!
Why Choose Us?
At Red Rocks Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Care, we go above and beyond to ensure your carpets are professionally deep-cleaned and treated. We utilize powerful truck-mounted machines to generate suction, pressure, and heat that other machines cannot match, guaranteeing you the best results possible.
Our team of experienced professionals is highly trained in identifying and treating pet urine stains, using the most effective methods, such as topical treatments, carpet flooding, and pad replacement.
With 250+ 5-star Google reviews and our commitment to quality, you can trust us to make your carpets look as new again. Get in touch with us today for a free estimate, and let us take care of the job for you.